food to glow

feel good food that's good for you

No offence, but I want to hurry up and get this to you so I can GET OUTSIDE. Yesterday Scotland set a record for hottest March day on record, and today is poised to beat yesterday’s temperature of 22C. “Huh?” Well, believe you me, in Scotland 22C is a big deal. Even a big deal in the summer. Seriously, look it up.  It is so unusually warm, and suddenly so, that yesterday as Rachel and I strolled up into town, she remarked, “I can’t believe we are in the same country as yesterday”; ‘yesterday’ having attained  a high of 9C. That day I wore four layers on my upper body – inside. I’m not even counting the cosy ‘tv rug’ that I swathe myself in while watching, um, tv. I blame what I call my Florida blood.

So, after month upon month of layer wearing (and complaining of layer-wearing), I can now report that I am in cut-offs, T-shirt and bare feet. I’m not saying it’s a pretty sight or anything, but it sure feels fantastic to be so pared down; I must be at least 2 pounds lighter. Hurrah! And of course warm weather gives the boot to stews and suchlike, in favour of salads, light nibbles and barely cooked this and thats. So, if the weather plays ball, so will I, starting with this little nibble suggestion.

The idea of a ‘mock guac’ is not new. Type this twee phrase into a search engine and you have the choice of thousands of links. But this is my humble stab at this quickly made dip. I was making it in various permutations before I even knew what search engines were, but I have refined it over the years to one I think is pretty darn good. I sometimes add tiny-dice ripest tomatoes, a thumbnail of chilli, or blend in spring onions, but I really like this stripped down version. So, you are getting a stripped down recipe from a semi-stripped down me. Now I’m going out into the garden before the mist rolls in…

Oh, before I grab the suncream and sun-guarding cardigan (my insurance against clouds, without which the temp will surely plummet), please look out for the next post as I will have another giveaway – from the fantastically named Rude Health. I love, love, love their organic breakfast cereals and wholegrain snacks (the real deal, not that  ‘with wholegrains’ flim-flammy nonsense) so I hope to introduce them to you, too.

Coriander and Pea Dip – Mock Guac

Last year: Sushi Made Simple
Rachel’s Cooking Track of the Week: Hold On, by Alabama Shakes – brilliant, energetic start-of-summer tune

Clotilde, the brains behind the fabulous Chocolate and Zucchini, has recently inspired me to add nut butter to my own recipe for what she nicknames, ‘peacamole’. Previously I have stuck with just a smidge of olive oil and lime juice to loosen the mixture (and flavour it obviously), but having made the switch from oil to butter, so to speak, I have to say it’s all the better for it. Although I tend to use pumpkin seed butter because I like its more pronounced savoury notes, the almond butter is really gorgeous and compliments the coriander extremely well. Try it with either and you won’t be disappointed. Oh, to make it a bit looser still, and to tone down its intensity, mix in a couple of tablespoons of Quark, ricotta or soft cheese, whatever suits. As the nickname implies, use it in place of the more fattening (but deeply nutritious if homemade) guacamole. Love the bright spring green!

250g baby peas/petit pois, frozen or fresh
2 handsful fresh coriander leaves and stalks
1 small clove garlic, peeled
2 tbsp almond butter or pumpkin seed butter (or olive oil)
Juice of 1 small lime
1 tsp chopped lime leaves (optional)
Sea salt, just a bit

Depending on what peas you use, either simmer for 2 minutes – until just done (from frozen), or steam until just done (fresh peas) – anywhere from four to eight minutes, depending on age and size. I would recommend frozen; Save fresh peas for eating in salads! Let the peas cool to room temperature.

Pop everything in a food processor and blend. If it is a bit too stiff to mix well, scrape down the sides and dribble in some water, or even vegetable stock, until loosened to your liking, bearing in mind that it will stiffen up a little once it has been refrigerated. Add in a couple of tablespoons of Quark, or similar, to make a milder tasting dip. Add in a drop or two of hot sauce if you like. I prefer it without add-ins and with just a little plate of crackers, or crunchy spring vegetables. The crackers pictured are Ryvita Multiseed Thins, but I really like them with Rude Health Multigrain Thins. Serves 4-6 as a snack. Keeps for 2-3 days.
About these ads

22 thoughts on “Pea and Coriander Dip – a Mock Guac

1. Patricia says:

Hi,

I found your blog through googling macarons in Lidl. Just wanted to let you know they are on offer again this week.

Patricia

1. Fab! Thanks for heads up.

2. Desi Chick says:

Sounds delightful!

3. Ann says:

Great music Rachel– and a yummy recipe.

1. Yeah, pretty fab tune, although I thought the lead singer was a guy until I saw the vid. Definitely not a guy :D

4. Shira says:

Looks so delicious and the ingredients just represent spring – what a glorious vibrant green!

1. Thank you. I promise that’s the real colour – no photoshop!

1. Shira says:

Haha! Of course – with those ingredients I am surprised the green isn’t oozing off the screen! Amazing! :)

5. thespicyrd says:

Love the gorgeous green color, and since I love peas and corriander {what I call cilantro}, this is a must make for sure. So glad you are having such lovely weather to enjoy :-)

1. Thanks EA. I can’t really ‘do’ chickpeas so while everyone else is hummusing-out I prefer something like this. Might make an interesting layer WITH hummus, mind you… with pretty French breakfast radishes for dipping.

6. Alexiasana says:

i love the colours of this dip! a perfect spring aperitizer! peas and coriander match so well, i love putting both in salads, blending them up is just as great. and pea soup, of course, is a definite winner too! i am crazy about green foods!

7. Kellie, your posts are always so delicious… this is one dish I would definitely love to try. Such brilliant colour, I could reach in and grab that spoon!

1. Aw shucks, Lizzie. Thank you love. Hope you are well and not working too hard.

8. Beautiful! Perfect for spring!

9. Wasn’t it just glorious today? I was lucky enough to have taken the day off so was able to enjoy being outside nearly all day. The ‘Moc Guac’ looks great, so green.

1. Oh you lucky thing :D The rest of the week is supposed to be a belter so I hope to do the same. With a big glass of cold matcha green tea. Thanks for stopping by, Janice

10. Best photos yet! They are stunning. I’m sure they taste good too but these images are works of art!
    BTW my teenage son who ate the Rude Health muesli you kindly gave me said, ” diverse, satisfying & delicious” and more to the point it kept him going longer than his usual cereal (always a plus for a teenager who is constantly hungry) :)

1. Thank you so much Niki. The vibrant green was unenhanced so what you see is literally what you get. And so glad Master Toby rated the Rude Health ultimate muesli- it’s really top stuff. Make sure & enter the comp next time. The cute bamboo cereal bowls the hamper contains are really lovely.

11. Faith says:

We’ve been having such a lovely and unseasonably warm spring here too! (I’m in upstate NY.) I’m glad you got to get out and enjoy it.

This dip is gorgeous! That color alone is enough to entice me in, but I also love how healthy it is. I bet a little handful of fresh mint leaves would be another fantastic addition.

1. That sounds a great addition. I experiment a lot with herbs and have used mint, basil, rosemary, parsley and tarragon (not all at once though!) in some form or other in most of my dips. Mint sounds a perfect complement to the coriander – very southeast Asian. Will try it next time. Thanks Faith! Good weather still holding out here (unusually), hope the same for you in beautiful upstate NY.

12. This looks amazing! I have to make some and slather it on bread. The color is unbelievable!

1. Thanks Alyssa. Yeah, it’s an amazing, natural colour – no photoshop! Easy & tastes great. I can’t ‘do’ chickpeas so traditional hummus is off limits, so this is my favourite equivalent dip. Thanks for commenting. Love your blog :D

If you have time, I would love to hear from you. Thanks so much!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Circa Happy

.......... Food (esp. Thai Food) Always Leads to Happiness

The Healthy Epicurean

Healthy eating ideas for delicious, nutritious 'real' food with a French twist

Plate du Jour

My adventure with cooking

foodbod

healthy tasty food that I love to make and eat and share

Natural Kitchen Adventures

Whole Foods, Paleo & Gluten-Free

Deena Kakaya Vegetarian Recipes & Cooking

Vegetarian Recipes & Cooking by Deena Kakaya Food Writer

Hearty Food

Healthy and simple recipes created by freelance chef and food stylist

Chez Foti

A family foodie blog from the French Pyrenees

breathofgreenair

mindfulness, relaxation, thought provoking images and poems

lemongrass and ginger

one cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well

One Happy Table

Vegan Food for the Whole Family

feel good food that's good for you

The Muffin Myth

Know What You're Eating

SHL

You are different. Eat and practice like it.

Seattle Foodshed

Our life in the garden, the wild and the kitchen

222 million tons

That's how much food is wasted each year. We want to change that ... and eat well doing it.

Cook Eat Live Vegetarian

Seasonal Vegetarian Recipes & Lifestyle Ideas

The Botanical Baker

Recipes and travel inspired by nature's botanical garden

lavenderandlovage

Just another WordPress.com site

The Savvy Sister

Simple changes for healthy living

unifiedspace

looking at colour and form

WordPress.com News

The latest news on WordPress.com and the WordPress community.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 14,818 other followers